What to do for Cabin Air with no Hood Vents or Rain Tray?

>From: T Berk <tberk@sbcglobal.net>
>CC: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: Re: What to do for Cabin Air with no Hood Vents or Rain Tray?
>Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:17:52 -0700
>
>C Boyko wrote:
>
>>I have a 1 1/2" tube that runs into the rain tray from beside the PS
>>reservoir on the 87. <snip>
>
>Sounds like fumes from off the motor (oily smelling etc) would get picked
>up from there.

Nah, it's not so bad, (its opening is quite forward/low) though the filler
neck leak makes it hard to tell.  (In that location I was actually more
worried about pavement heat/exhaust from other cars in standing traffic) But
it's sure better than where it was picking up from, probably at the top of
the firewall previously. It's just not gulping quite enough air. I'd say the
quality is improved though. I still have considerable playing to do on that
one. And to quote Alice Cooper "school's out for summer", for the kids
anyways, so I'll actually have some time once marks go in.
.

>>Some sort of a scoop on the top of the hood into the tray would be ideal
>>(but what would look any good?), actually the stock vents are ideal, but
>>what can you do?
>>Cathy
>>

>Well, how about running a longer hose (like a dryer vent hose), w/ some
>insulation around the outside, to the front of the engine bay?; like next
>to the Rad or under the cross member?

Yeah, I had thought of that, and may still do it. The prevous solution was a
desperation measure for the long Cincy trip. For now it's getting driven
mostly 1/4 mile at a time, so other issues are in the forefront. (like
getting that cross member brace on). Waterfest is likely the next long haul.
Funny how quickly anything under 500 miles doesn't count as a long trip eh?

>Coooool, Cleeeeeean, waterrrrr  er atmospherrrre.
>

>TBerk

I'm getting there. Or I can drive the "other car", heh. Oh twist my arm and
force me to drive that Mk1, heh.

Cathy

Add photos to your messages with MSN Premium. Get 2 months FREE*