Lowering engine from car - something cool, I think.

Same here, I only put the car on jacks, 2 notches usually in height so front
end is no more than 2 feet off the ground if that, I take the head and
exhaust off the car first) drop the oil out, change the good oil pan for a
dented one I have been using for 2 years now on swaps..(its rusty and dented
from previous drops, using the 4x4 cedar post across the inside edge of the
fenders and armed with ratcheting straps (good for 800lbs of dead weight
each) I lower see-saw style the engine block onto 2 layers of cardboard, and
pull on the first one to slid it out from under the car (btw the upper layer
of cardboard slides off an older cardboard layer sticking to the cement
flooring and first layer slides out easier that way (almost no effort
required, getting old means watching out your back and spine... Grin) .

Once all components are disconnected from the block, head removed, I can
drop the engine or tranny the same way or both at the same time in less then
15mins, and with little effort.

The ATV jack is a nice idea, and its probably not tipsy, its design to hold
a whole motorcycle by grasping both side of the engine, so its solid I am
sure to drop and engine, but seems an expensive value for something you may
only do 1-2 times in your life, I have changed 5 engines, need to drop 3
more by end of month, and I spend 2.00 for each U-haul Larger size cardboard
box, 9.99 for a set of 3 ratcheting strap at AutoZone and a pre-cut 4x4 in
cedar to fit on the fender lip where the bolts are at 3.49$ total ~ 20$

I think "ingenuity" is the "soul" every one on this list has been trying to
figure out why "scirocco enthusiast", are like what we are... (Grin, sorry
the revelation just hit me, and I though I would share. Cheers!

ATS - Patrick Bureau - Canuck in Texas
ATS A1 Parts on ebay - http://tinyurl.com/22e5b