Fw: 88 Headlight switch and third brake light cover

Walter D. Leonard III wrote:

> My son needs a headlight switch in great working order, not burned up and a
> plastic cover that fits over the third brake light on the rear hatch!!!!
>
> Who has and how much shipped to Charlotte, NC 28226
>
> 1988 VW Scirocco 16V Tornado Red
>
> Walter D. Leonard III

Hi Walter,

One of these?
<javascript:popUp('displayimage.php?file=K4133255144798162233')>

<http://www.germanautoparts.com/main.php?make=Volkswagen&maingroup=Lighting&selmodel=Scirocco&seltype=204&line=1>
(I looked for the same thing from the Potters;
<http://www.parts4vws.com> and while I didn't find it in the online
catalog I am sure they could source one from inventory without problems.)

The 1st guys are East Coast, the 2nd West; either is in good standing,
Scirocco wise.

Now, in order to prevent the replacement switch from burning up as
well I am forwarding links about relaying the headlights.

The full current of the headlights runs through the stock setup, which
is why it did what it did- the better thing to do is use the existing
circuit to trigger the clamping of the relay and run new wire from the
battery, through the hot side of the relay and on to the lights.

Daniel Stern Lighting - FAQ
<http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html>

New Dimensions' Massive Overkill Harnesses:
<http://www.newdimensions.com/2003/gui/04_pro/sub_08.html>

Relay Link from VWVortex - (the Vortex has a lot of info)
<http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1157591>

Misc
<http://www.oceanstreetvideo.com/vwtech/headlightwiring.htm>
<http://www.vanagon.com/info/articles/upgrades/headlight-relay>
<http://neksiwel.20m.com/custom.html>

The general idea in addition to by passing the full energy going
through the headlight switch is to augment the chassis grounds in the
car. That'll help millions.

more info? Drop me a line,
TBerk