Rant: and information RE: Any Mega Squirt Success Stories out there?

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004, Rick Kellner wrote:

> Brett, I did view the pictures when you building the album however; I
> did not study them at that point in time, thanks for the refresher.
> BTW, I noticed last year's car in the first set of pictures.  I saw Rick
> A. last week and he is putting the finishing touches on his 2.0l
> conversion with MS as the next step.
>
> I noticed you used individual throttle bodies (TB) however, I am leaning
> to a more, as you suggest below, traditional setup.  With that in mind,
> what would you recommend for a fuel rail and injectors for a stock 16V
> intake/TB set up?  Is the Corrado G60 a good donor.  I have also heard
> that the Mopar 2.2/2.5 turbo fuel rail may fit.  Any input in this area
> will help!

16V ONLY.
Ok, Here is a problem that most people dont understand. I have attempted
both the G60 fuel rail it has 8v spacing ie. not equally spaced.

The mopar 2.2/2.5 turbo rail has injector spacing that is a couple mm's to
wide.

The stock vw 1.8T fuel rail has the right spacing, BUT it wont fit inside
the curve of the existing Intake manifold. and No the 1.8T intake wont fit
either. 99% sure just looked at my 20v head in the garage.

So you are left with getting a custom fuel rail. We're working on sourcing
our own BKRacing version from our custom machine shop, but it isnt
formalized yet. There are various manufacturers to get them from now
<insert favorite VW tuner>.

8V ONLY
Im pretty sure any Digifont 4clyn rail will work with the right inserts in
the manifold.

BOTH
Get your fuel Injector needs met by Scott F. Williams

Reality Check.

Just so some of you that start talking about price.
Figure that on average engineers get paid $75/hr.
NRE = Non Reoccuring Engineering

Cause I'm doing doing thing I like my bill rate is $50/hr, in real  pay
this equals just under $20/hr after you subtract workspace, benefits,
overhead.

If I spend a week of 10hr days on a project 50/hr * 10hrs * 5days  =
$2500 is what it is typically to have one engineer devoted to a project.
How much is your time worth. I dont expect alot or return on my
investment, but some. You are benefiting from my NRE towards my
OWN cars. This NRE that you are benefitting from is not just from me, but
from an Electrical Engineer, Computer Engineer, a business guy, and 2
mechanical engineer's.
So if the 5 of us spend a week on one project that cost is approx 10,000 a
week. Please realize that this is just for the GRM stuff.

GRM:
5 engineers

VEMS:
20 Engineers working on the VEMS project and have been for over 2 years.

There has been significant NRE donated to each of these projects.

Other Standalones
SDS: basic 4clyn kit $1249 and there still is lots to wire and buy
Haltech: base kit $1045.00 more to buy and wire
TEC III 4clyn kit: $1850.00 more to buy and wire

So the VEMS box at $550 is a deal its basically the same as the above,
IMHO its even more capable, but there is a steep learning curve.

Our added value would be that you would get a kit that
that BOLT up / PLUG in, start and run, and you mildly tune it, for
around $1000 excluding the VEMS box is a great deal. If you dont believe
me price it out yourself. It would come with basic fuel and
ignition maps that allow you to start your car the first time you are
doing quite well. And I mean EVERYTHING and DIRECTIONS. no wires to cut
just plug it in and bolt it up. Dont think there would be alot of profit,
meaning Gross sale - parts - shipping. notice no overhead etc is included,
no NRE. I know that A1 people tend to be very cheap, but many of you need
to get a grip on what things cost. And if you think $50/hr is expensive
check what mechanic shop rates are and they do not have 6+ years of school
and 5+ years of experience.

Brian