Clutch lever arm questions...

You have just become a prover of another debating thread here on the list
of, "Which breaks 1st? The finger or the plate?"

>From what you desrcibe, it seems that it's the finger in your 4k that is
broke as any movement of the lever should have corresponding movement of
the shaft IF the finger on the lever is good.

Breaks down like this:

The clutch lever moves a much smaller lever inside the tranny (finger)
under the green cap on the end. This finger pushes the release bearing/rod
going through the tranny drive shaft. If the finger is unbroken, the "push
rod" moves. If the finger is broken it could do what you are describing
when the edges of the broken finger catch on the release bearing it's
supposed to push as you move the clutch lever.

The good news is that it's a fairly easy fix. You will probably need to
get a new green end cap/sealing cap part # 020 141 173A
(peter@thescirocco.com sells them for $5 US I believe) and a new finger
(not sure if other listers have any for sale, this could be a stealership
only part).

There is another part (#17) listed in the ETKA that seems to work in
conjunction w/ the release bearing but it comes up "PART UNKNOWN"

If you get a Sachs clutch kit (a wise move when doing anything that
necessitates a tranny/engine separation) it will come w/ a new release
bearing.

ETKA calls the finger a clutch operating lever and it is part # 020 141
709 B You'll probably need a new radial shaft seal too but I'm not sure,
part # 020 141 733 .

HTH,

Tim

Once I finally figured out all of life's answers, they changed the questions.