Tires revisited

Hence the asking of the question....... When I asked for pros and cons, I did so because I didn't know some of the cons would be less traction and cornering ability....

The fender lips will be ground off as there isn't a whole lot left to them and if I tried to roll them, they'd probably just crumble. And yes, this car is getting a 2L turbo swap. However, it's going to mainly see streets and shows (eventually). Since I drive the speed limit and not like I'm on a road track, I don't mind giving up a little traction especially if I go with ultra high performance summer tires. Cornering, yes that I'm not as keen giving up as I'm aiming for a neutral, go-kart like handling. The car will never see an auto-x track and may someday see a road track (with different tires) and possibly an occasional Friday Night Test 'N Tune at the strip.

So, now that you see the reasoning behind my tire choices and engine choices and whatnot, maybe you'll understand why I'm exploring different tire options. Of course, with comments like 'not for the track' and 'going for street and show' I'm sure people will now question my car choice but whatever.

Dan

Mark <mardak@cogeco.ca> wrote:
So to save $10 a tire you're willing to give up the added traction and
cornering ability of a properly fitted tire?!? Isn't this the same car
you're doing a turbo swap into? Seems like you have conflicting
strategies here...

A 16x7.5" wheel with a 205-40-16 or 205-45-16 should go as low as you
want to go without rubbing. The most you'll have to do to make it work
is either roll the fender lips (length of pipe or baseball bat), or
remove some of the inner lip with a grinder (go slow or you'll melt the
paint!). Offset issues can be solved with spacers...

I dunno, something to think about anyways...

Mark.
75
77
80 S