Tires revisited

Dan Smith wrote:
> My reasoning is that from the stretched tire cars I've seen, it looks
> like they are able to drop the car a slight bit more because of the
> stretched sidewalls. Plus (it varies from car to car), sometimes it
> makes it look like the wheel is perfectly fitted under the wheel
> well. This is not going to be a DD and it's a mk1 scirocco, so obviously
> ride comfort isn't a real big concern. Lastly, it seems like 195 is a
> very common tire size and so I was hoping for more options for less
> money. I f igure if I can get a decent, low-treadlife tire for cheap,
> then I can justify that over a longer lasting tire.

So to save $10 a tire you're willing to give up the added traction and
cornering ability of a properly fitted tire?!?  Isn't this the same car
you're doing a turbo swap into?  Seems like you have conflicting
strategies here...

A 16x7.5" wheel with a 205-40-16 or 205-45-16 should go as low as you
want to go without rubbing.  The most you'll have to do to make it work
is either roll the fender lips (length of pipe or baseball bat), or
remove some of the inner lip with a grinder (go slow or you'll melt the
paint!).  Offset issues can be solved with spacers...

I dunno, something to think about anyways...

Mark.
75
77
80 S