All wheel drive.

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Ben Carter wrote:

>     Does anybody know if it is possible to make an all wheel drive Roc?
> My neighbor has a Mk2 Golf Synchro.  Did VW sell a synchro version in
> the states?  Would A Quattro drivetrain possibly work?  I'm talking Mk
> 2 if that helps.

It's ... conceivable.  Perhaps not too terribly likely. :)

Syncro isn't all that great of an AWD system in front-engine
configurations, since its torque bias is toward the front (i.e., the front
wheels have to start slipping before the rears grab, which could be
sometime after you've slid into the ditch.)  Better for offroading than
performance on road.

Quattro-equipped vehicles have longitudinally mounted engines.  Doing that
in a Scirocco would be ... interesting, but unlikely.

Not sure what you'd do for rear suspension either.

ian Butler / ian@bluemoon.hplx.net
'88 Audi 5000S quattro
'88 VW Scirocco 16v
'77 Mercury Marquis (for sale)