ATS REPLIES...REAL LONG !!! was: ats and his site and his herdgone???

----snip--------
Again Allyn, you only display, the; me, me, me symptoms of a child, you want
my tech notes, I screwed the LIST? Excuse me? 5 years on this list. 5
years of listening and answering young men trying to figure out what they
got themselves into? I screwed the list? I don't think so.
----------------

This is where I do feel personally betrayed and baffled. I just joined the
list maybe 2 months ago and have only had a few weeks where I've been able
to work on my recently acquired car.  I don't need you to hold my hand and
point to the oil drain plug, as you've implied previously, ("young men
trying to figure out what they got themselves into?" - please.  give us a
little more credit than that) but you had a unique understanding of this car
and your website was a hugely valuable resource.  You say it's been up for 5
years as if we've had our chance and that's been plenty.  What about people
who join tomorrow?  What about the next 5 years?  There is already far too
much information on these cars that has been lost forever.  Don't tell me
you never wanted to help people out and the site was merely an experiment in
HTML - that's absolutely absurd and I don't believe it for a second.  Think
of times when you've wanted to know something about the car or wanted a part
that nobody had/knew anymore - I'm sure in the years you tinkered with
Sciroccos you ran into this situation. You compare it to a book - even when
a book goes out of print, you can still buy old copies or go to the library
and borrow it, the information doesn't just disappear off the face of the
earth.  Imagine what the world would be like if that were the case.  Seems
far fetched, but in this particular situation it's really not too far from
the truth.  I really don't think this is selfish of us to ask that the
information stay public.  Honestly, I don't know if I'd ever even need any
of what you wrote.  I bookmarked your page to keep it handy for when i got
my car to the point that your tech notes would be useful (right now it's
little more than a rotting chassis), and now it looks like that resource is
lost.

If you want to move on and get out of the hobby, that's none of my business.
I'm glad you had fun while you were doing it.  If you want to scrap cars
that belong in a junkyard, that's reasonable.  I think the sore spot is over
your website, and i'll just echo what everyone is saying:

At the very least, take someone up on the offer to keep your tech notes up.
please.

And keep in touch.  I never met you personally but honestly looked forward
to seeing you at Cincy in the coming years.  This scene is as much about
community as the cars, so just don't forget your friends.

-Grant-