weird alternator malfunction

I have been having charging problems with my car for about a year now.  Here
is the latest.  While coming back from a trip to NYC, I notice the
headlights/dash lights are dimmer than they should be.  I pull over to check
the wiring, and everything looks OK.  I get back in and there isn't enough
juice to start it.  After roll starting it, and messing with stuff for a
while, I discover that if I let the engine die completely and then start it
(letting the clutch out in gear while moving with the ignition on)  the
lights lit up wonderfully and everything was cool for just about one second
(a few times maybe as long as 3 secs.)  So, being 30 miles from home, when
the power dropped to the point where the engine was sputtering, I did the
engine cut/pop start thing a few times to boost the battery a bit and
repeated as necessary.  As messy as this was, it got me home, but I still
don't know what the deal is.  Just a few months ago I got a rebuilt 90 amp
alternator and redid all my wiring from end to end (as far as I could on the
exciter wire) because I was so frustrated with the whole thing.  No problems
for a few months, now this.

Any takers???

**Drew Teague**
Harrisburg, PA