brakes

I had the 10.1" 16v Scirocco setup on my 77 Rabbit that was a modded 2.0L
16v and also had the rear discs, prop valves, stainless steel lines, etc.
Even though I drove the car hard, I don't believe that I used the 10.1s and
rear discs enough to validate having them.  Even though they did perform
when asked it seemed that they needed to be warmed up to use.

After this experience, I had planned on doing the same to an early Scirocco
but decided that I was going to go with the 9.4 vented ATE powerdiscs up
front and rear discs for a couple reasons.  First, I figured that the
smaller size would be ready to use at a moments notice (they wouldn't have
to "warm up" like the larger 10.1s) and I wouldn't have any problems with
clearance and different wheels.  With the smaller brakes you can run
anything stock that VW offered for the A1s, and, more importantly, I could
run my 13" X 9" slicks on the front.

After playing around alot with big stuff and doing what I "heard" was the
best thing to do, age and experience kicks in and tells you different.  I
have driven a LOT of cars with SOLID 9.4" rotors up front with rear drums
that stop on a dime and I also know of people who are more impressed with
the larger rear drums due to price, ease of fixing stuff, and performance
than the rear discs.  It all comes down to what you want, what you have
money for, and what you want in excess of what you will eve use.  Obviously
you will "use" you brakes but will you ever use them to their max intended
purpose??  I doubt it, but they will look good.  Then again, a nice set of
13 or 14 inch wheels and tires look good with ATE power discs inside as well
and will give you a lot more performance as you will never find a 16" wheel
that weighs less or even close to the same.  I'd rather be faster.  Looking
good doing it, in my opinion, is over-rated.  It's more fun to blow the
doors off of some winged Fast and the Furious Honda when you car looks
pretty normal.

HTH!

Dave