need advice, rocco is still not running right

I checked the timing belt and its lined up right, and i have good spark on
all the plugs.
While adjusting the distributor I can get rid of the knock but it still wont
stay running unless i give it gas. The weird thing is sometimes after the
car dies, i turn the distributor back and the fuel pump
turns on.

When the distributor is in the normal position it will idle but have a knock
at a higher rpm and under load, and the exhast smells gassy. I tried swaping
the computers in the rain tray, and i replaced my oxs sensor.
Any other ideas? Mr. Bently is not helping me out much here.
Thanks,
Parker
2.0 16v jetronic (by the way)

>Check the belt and the timing. Hard starts and floored pedals? Sounds like
>it!
>Julie Macfarlane
>
>Not my little friend the keyway I hope.
>Cathy
>
>Sounds like your timing has slipped; either through the belt jumping or a
>shorn keyway, or maybe the distributor moved. Align up the crank and
>cylinder #1 and Dist ad see what they look like. (I remembered in time that
>16v has no Intermediate shaft to assist in timing.)
>TBerk
>
>This car is driveing me insaine
>Well got my tranny put back in with a new Heavy duty pressure plate and
>every thing went ok for a week. Except for starting hard some times and i
>would have to hold the gas to the floor.
>Driving the other night i lost power and I managed to limp it home. It
>starts up, but doenst idle very good, has kinda a knock above 3,000 rpm or
>with a load on it. Im thinking its maybee pre ignition, or something of
>that
>matter.
>I checked for spark at all of the plugs and it seemed good and I changed
>the
>FI seals.
>Could it be the oxs or knock sensor, or someting im over looking?
>Parker Wulf
>1987 Scirocco 2.0 16v with 020 9a 3.94fd Peloquin LSD

MSN Life Events gives you the tips and tools to handle the turning points in
your life. http://lifeevents.msn.com