clutch question

the car - 1987 16V Scirocco - stock

the problem - the clutch is not engaging. The cable (auto-adjusting)
moves and actuates the clutch release arm outside the tranny. There is
resistance in the pedal, ie spring action. My son was driving the car at
the time and he first said the clutch was sticking and then wouldn't
work at all.

I'm thinking of pulling the green cap off the end of the transmission to
see if the throw out bearing actuating arm has broken but I'm thinking,
if this were broken I wouldn't get any resistance in the pedal, in fact
I'm thinking it would go to the floor and stay there. Or can the arm
break but the spring still offer resistance?

Does this sound like it's the pressure plate? Is there something else it
could be?

This inquiring mind wants to know! . . . without having to pull the
transmission...again!

If I put the car in gear when it is not running, start the car in gear,
it will pull fine but I can't shift gears.

Roc_n_Rev