From: Drew [mailto:drew@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca]
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2004 11:48 AM
To: Rick Kellner
Cc: scirocco
Subject: RE: Parts car might be an Wolfsburg

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 11:30, Rick Kellner wrote:

> The individual in our local club that was looking over the car does a
> lot of SCCA racing where everything is checked and scrutinized.  He
said
> (again in his opinion) that the 83 Wolfsburg chassis is the one of
> choice because of the 1.8l, the 2H and the fact that it weighs less
than
> the 84 1/2 and above.  He said that when the floor plan changed in mid
> 84 it added 150 lbs.  I found that very interesting because part of
the
> change incorporated the space (and weight) saver spare.  Was the space
> saver spare a federal requirement?  I think my alloy spare weighs less
> than my steel space saver spare too.

The change to the floorpan (including the space-saver spare) allowed for
the use of the 53L fuel tank.  The larger fuel tank alone can't account
for an extra 150lbs of weight - even including the in-tank lift pump,
and the extra 10L of fuel... :)

Drew

--

84 Wolfsburg Ed. Scirocco GTD     http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd