Parts car might be an Wolfsburg

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Rick Kellner
Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2004 8:46 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Parts car might be an Wolfsburg

I had some people over today from our local VW club* picking at the
bones of the donor Passat before it took its final ride and one guy is
looking at my 'parts' Scirocco.  I started describing it to him; 83,
leather seats, mono wiper. and from about 200 feet away he says, "That's
a Wolfsburg".  He climbs under and confirms that it is a Wolfsburg by
the transmission code.  Is there a way to check by the VIN?  Not that it
would really change its status, it is more of a curiosity now. It also
is a black metallic and not a solid black (like my 84).
Rick.

The only way I know of is to contact VW directly with the VIN and let them
do a search on it.  However, since there is no immediate need to do this, I
doubt they would (you never know).  They will have to sift through paper
files to find it, as it is not on a database for that age (ask me how I
know).  And ETKA is absolutely no help.  Ha, it occurs to me that if you can
find you build sheet in the car still (mine was behind the R/R qtr. panel),
it might tell you.  More than likely it will give you a code for it, and I
have no idea of how to figure out what code is what....  Hmmm, come to think
of it, THAT may be in ETKA...  Let me know if you can find a build sheet
somewheres in the car, we might figure it out...

Cheers,
  David