Is this a 3d stick?

Jacob Hawes wrote:

> Progress... I figured out what is in the way of my stick from getting
> into the first second column.
> The "stop finger" is hitting the plate down there.
> I am assuming that the finger should go above the plate for first and
> second and under for reverse. It is actually level with the plate. So
> does the plate need to be moved, is there a problem that the stick being
> too low?

Consider:

- The shifter sits atop the chassis tunnel and is held into place with
two bolts via a plate.

Some early VWs did have this but check to see if your's has the two
alignment holes, loosen the bolts and line the plate up, and re tighten.

Once you have this part correct you can verify whether you need
further adjustment/realigning.

This would be a great time to replace all the shift linkage bushing,
they can be had as a kit or group;

Basic kit:
<http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=171798001>

Kitus Maximus: