ABA block and crank ?'s ...Update

--- "S. Coleman" <deadbolt@mindspring.com> wrote:
> After more inspection I really think that these blue heat marks are actually
> from the grinding process when the rod journals were ground at the factory.
> (or wherever it is done)  I can't see heat treating these rod journal ends

I have thought about this some more.  At first, I jumped to a conclusion that one wouldn't heat
treat a crank due to the resulting surface brittleness and it's propensity to crack.  Then,
pulling my pate from my posterior, I actually did a wee bit of research and found that it is
indeed industry practice to induction harden crankshaft bearing surfaces.  Mea culpa.  Research
first, answer second.  Yes, you very well may see some blue.

You *can* bet on the blue NOT being a leftover from grinding.  That would indicate a process
that's *serioulsy* flawed.  I'll stand on that being factual without looking!

Ron

`8|