  From: S. Coleman
  To: Scirocco List
  Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 6:47 PM
  Subject: ABA block and crank ?'s

  First thing up.... what is the deal with this paint/coating they used on
  these Mexican made blocks... it isn't even close to the same stuff they used
  on the German ones.  Plus the blocks seem to rust up more on the outside
  than the German blocks... just wondering if anyone else has noticed that.
  Secondly,... I have three ABA cranks sitting here, (what I say are the early
  ABA cranks that are forged)  and on two of them, the area around the rod
  journals are "heat" marked.   Meaning that they have some blue-ish marks on
  them like they were heat treated maybe.....  any ideas.   (I also wonder if
  they were "heated" while the car was running?)  Also,... I have the crank
  out of another vw here, (2.0) and there are no heat marks on it.... wonder
  why?     Lastly, can someone confirm what the difference in looks (as in
  what to look for) is between a forged crank and a cast crank.  My boss and I
  are arguing that fact as well as why one is stronger than the other.
  Many thanks,
  Chris
  '88 16v Rocco
  '78 8v Rocco