Project Update :)

well I kinda went through this myself...I just finished swapping the 1.7L
8V in my 83 jetta with a 2.0L 16V from a 92 GTI...the starter from my 8v
looked better and had a sticker on it stating that it was a recent Bosch
rebuild so I decided to run the 8v starter...bad move...after the first
cold day at work in the the parking lot I went to start it and even with a
boost it would not start...starter, even with lots of juice just couldn't
turn it fast enough...a healthy 16V with good compression and some thick
oil.
So I swapped the starter out in the parking lot during the last snow storm
and put the old used 16V one in...no problems...starts the first time
everytime.
I would highly reccomend you use either a 16V starter or a Diesel one.

cheers
sandor