Shocks and springs...

miT wrote:

> I was wondering what everyone has tried out in the shocks and spring area.
>

> Whenever I drive over a small crack/bump in the road the whole car feels
> like as if I just ran into a brick wall. Is there anything I can do to get
> rid of this, or at least minimize the impact feel to it?

Based on whats installed on your car it might be: worn components and/OR
harsh shocks n' springs.

> I know that a spring kit isn?t really going to help it but I was just
> curious if others have experienced this also.

Now this depends, see above. Too harsh a spring rate fore your needs can
be a waste of money, and kidneys.

> What else should I replace in the while ordering the suspension kit? I
> really don?t know much about this subject as you can plainly tell.
>

> /miT

> '85 Cabriolet
> '88 Scirocco 16v

You might consider some SoftSport springs. They don't lower much over
stock but are still a better performance option than stock springs.

Otoh you might consider an H&R Cup kit, it's what I bought to replace
the used (who knows how many miles & what brand) springs & yellow Koni
shock conbo on there now. They are springs & shock combo designed to
work together over mix n matching.

<http://www.parts4vws.com> Tell ya watcha gonna do; contact Mr. Potter
and describe your needs and tell him to make up a list with the little
small bits you need: bushing, ball joints, etc.

Partly it depends also on budget and your desire to freshen the whole
shebang.

Others will chime in with there real life experience.

TBerk