  From: Dan Bubb
  To: L F ; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 4:38 AM
  Subject: Composites and epoxy, was Re: Coilovers $195 for all A1's

  Riveting and bonding/gluing has been a common construction in aircraft for over 30 years. Bonding by
  itself without riveting? I kind of doubt this. Bonded epoxy joints have good shear strength, but
  poor peal strength, so you typically need mechanical assistance to prevent pealing.

  As far as composite use in aircraft it is most definitely not confined to non-structual
  applications.
  Examples are the one piece wing skins on the Joint Stike Fighter.
  Harzell's composite blade propeller that has an "unlimited service life designation from the FAA."
  F-22 Raptor is 24% composite construction BY WEIGHT! including use in the fuselage frame and for
  wing spars.

  Dan