From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Mark
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 1:49 AM
To: 'Dan Smith'; Scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: RE: (OT)I would like to ask you all a question...(Long)

Hey, I never said anyone is better than anyone else!  That's not what I
meant at all.  What I said was "most people kinda lurk for a while"
meaning that most people would get the feel for a particular community
(whether it be an email list or a group standing around talking) and get
to know everyone a bit before butting heads.  It was a point about
social norms with respect to conversation.  For example, if 'Joe
Average' walked up to a technical discussion between a group of
engineers and began refuting points left and right, how do you think
this person would be perceived?  Without knowing his
experience/expertise, I don't think this person's views would be
particularly well respected by the group...

Mark.
80 S
81 S  2.0 ABA/JH/4K
75