From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Allyn
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2004 11:41 PM
To: Chad Eatock; scirocco list
Subject: Re: Thermostat Issues Continued..............

I've noticed the same stuff in the Reiger lately (which can probably be
considered a stock vw cooling / a/c system benchmark, as i have
replaced/repaired all of those parts to factory specs). On very cold
mornings (below freezing), the heat just doesnt seem to be enough. When
idling at a light, the cooling system gets minimal flow, which gives the
heater core near-zero flow, so you get cold at those times. after waiting a
few minutes at a red light, and pulling away, you get a small burst of heat,
which quickly settles back to the normal level as the overall coolant temp
drops back down to normal running temperatire. This is mainly due to the
fact that the only way you can shut off the outside air inlet is by using
the defrost setting (its the only setting that closes that flap). the heater
core constantly has to work against outside air temperature (vs. interior
temperature). It is possible to just make something and cover the outside
inlet manually (i may do this to the rieger actually). That would allow use
of the other vent settings, while keeping the system in a 'recirc' mode,
which should make it wasier to heat up the car over time.
hth
Al

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger Scirocco GTO 2.0 16v (daily driver, 190k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX (30% complete, rocco #7)
86.5 Occo 16v Trailer (rocco #8)
90 Passat GL 16V (the wifes new daily, 190k)