Thermostat Issues Continued..............

Hey guys,
I'm having some issues with heat on these cold and frigid Ontario mornings these past days.....I am also glad to get the great insight into the logic of not blasting the air through the heater core before the motor heats up......perhaps that was my problem.....
My 16V takes a long time to warm up and the gauge sits around normal and blows small amounts of heated air, but sometimes the gauge drops down below normal and the heat drops off....its weird, but all I know is, that it's cold at my feet and in the car period for that matter....I was thinking thermostat and/or heater core....gotta do something or my girlfriend wont wanna drive with me soon!!  What should I do?
Chadster