was $195 coilovers , ease of adjustment...

One-hand adjustablilty vs. two-hand adjustability? How often do you plan
to adjust these things?

Yes, coilovers with adjustable spring perches give you adjustablity for
ride-height and corner-balancing. And they let you more easily swap-out
different spring rates. But you adjust it as often as you adjust
alignment settings. In fact, you shouldn't do one without the other. How
often do you change alignment settings? Do you care if your tie rods can
be adjusted with one hand?

Once you get your corner weights set and align the car, you don't need
to adjust them again unless you want to try something different to make
the car handle better. On a street car, that probably won't be too
often...

As for a totally generic "kit" vs. one that is VW-specific, the
VW-specific one will have that lower strut collar I was talking about
for holding the sleeve to your strut, as well as the proper spring perch
for VW strut bearings. With a generic kit, you're on your own. Most
people solve the issue by using the stock lower spring perch to hold the
sleeve, but it isn't in the right spot. But that reduces your
adjustability by several inches. Then they use the stock upper spring
perch, which doesn't hold the spring as well (stock springs are nearly
double the diameter of race-type 2.5" coilover springs). Not to mention
that it looks really tacky, if that matters to you.

Neal
'77 G60