What is this piece?

When you start your car and the engine is cold, there is a flap that closes
and draws air into the airbox from this hose. The other end leads to a
shroud around the exhaust manifold. The theory is that the air around the
exhaust manifold is warmer than the ambient air outside. By drawing in air
from that area, the engine will get upto operating temeratures faster then
if it were just drawing in cold air all the time.  As your car warms up, the
flap closes and starts to draw more air in from outside. I assume that you
are referring to the red/pinkish hose that looks kinda like a dryer hose?

-Craig
"Nightmare" '88 16v (PG-T Proj.)
"Calypso" '91 Golf GL (Daily Driver)