New to List - have questions...

--- Klun John <jklun@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm new to the list having just purchased an 84 'rocco
> from our VW mechanic.

Congrats.  :)

  We have a 1986 Jetta (bought new)
> with about 400+K miles on it (we're retiring it in March)

Why retire it?  400k?  So?

> I went looking through the 84 specs on the .org website
> and gas mileage is supposed to be around 36.

That would be a slightly high average.  The book figures on
it new were 23 and 28 mpg I believe.  I tend to see low 30s
with my 8v(s)

I noticed that the transmission gearing
> is a little different from our Jetta's (which has a 14
> gal tank and gets 35-37mpg) with it's gearing set up.
> Would the Jetta's 5-speed with its gearing get me the
> better mpg in the rocco?

Probably, although I really hate that transmission.

  I realize we would miss the
> 'instant' response of the rocco gearbox but the Jetta's
> was no slouch either in her heyday.  I notice the tach
> reads 3800 at around 65-70mph whereas the Jetta's was at
> 2800-3000 for the same speed.
>
> Any Ideas?

The Jetta has the long-ratio transmission, (with a 3.67
final drive) whereas the Scirocco has a close-ratio box &
3.94 final.  To improve your mileage but retain some of the
zip, try finding a Rabbit / early Scirocco 5-spd,
transmission code FF.  It has the 3.94 final but with
longer gearing similar to your current Jetta setup.

And let me know if you want rid of the (presumably stock)
transmission in the Scirocco.  I'm sorta on the lookout for
another 4k.

Welcome to the list!

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 S, '85, '86 & '88 Sciroccos, '96 Passat GLX Wagon, '56 Cessna 172
For Sale: '90 Passat Wagon, '82 Scirocco.
"My rabbit has a human foot on his keychain.  That's not the scary part.  What I wanna know is what those keys are for." - The Four Postmen