New to List - have questions...

Woo hoo!  Another Coloradan!

The 84 should have a close ratio gearbox, yes, and that will account for
some economy differences.  You probably have a 4K code tranny, which
accounts for the crisp acceleration, and high rpm at highway speed.  Cheap
trick is, people swap out the 5th gear only, with a taller one, to give
better cruising RPM and economy.

But, I have to say, even what you are getting is pretty darn good!

Does your 84 have a full size spare tire?  Or a mini spare?  If you have a
10 gallon tank, you should have a full size spare, and that makes your car
a "early" 84 (it was a split year for a few changes).

--
Eric
www.vintagewatercooleds.com

79 VW Iltis
81 Rabbit Truck 2.0 16v
81 Scirocco S (TDI Swap project)
90 Corrado TDI
91 Cabriolet (2.0 Crossflow swap project)