Just found out I may not be loosing my Job (long)

Jeff Toomasson wrote:

> Hell - in this economic climate, being jobless is no fun. Hopefully, your
> new arragement will work out and things won't end up being as aggressive as
> you anticipate.

Gotta chime in.  2 weeks ago today the CEO & VP of sales of my company
flew into California from Greenville SC for a "stealth" meeting that was
set up in advance but never announced.  We found out they were coming
and could come up with NO good reason for their visit since we were all
going back to Greenville a week later for our annual sales meeting - no
logical reason to fly all the way out here a week earlier since we'd be
in front of them right afterwards.  In the days leading up to the visit,
I hit on the only logical reason - closing the California office.  It's
just a sales office with about 15-18 employees but causes all kinds of
cost headaches for the company, the latest being a full-on Jesse
Jackson-style shakedown by the California franchise tax board, demanding
we pay sales tax on a bunch of shit sold out of state and drop-shipped
into California.

I turned out to be right.  We shut down March 31.  Everyone was offered
to relocate to our existing office in Phoenix, with full expenses plus a
substantial relocation incentive (enough to buy about 10 very nice west
coast Sciroccos) offered for making the move.  Those not able or willing
to go are receiving 6 months severance + job placement assistance.  I
immediately chose to make the move.  I was in Phoenix looking for a
house by that weekend, found one, and my offer was accepted yesterday so
I'm charging in full steam ahead.  $140k is buying me a 4-year-old house
in Chandler that would cost me $450k+ here where I'm at in SoCal.  My
incentive is more than covering the down payment & other expenses, and
the moving expense is 100% covered on top of that.  It's great to work
for an awesome company that truly gives a shit about its employees.

I like Phoenix and I think I'll handle the heat out there just fine.
And for all intents and purposes, I just effectively received a huge
raise.  Anyone on the list in the area, drop me a note offline, let's
hook up.

--
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA