Rattleing and grinding comeing from the front drivetrain...

When was the last time you changed your wheel bearings.??

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of A J
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 2:50 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Rattleing and grinding comeing from the front drivetrain...

Hi Guys , well just as thought I had the old Roc
running perfect this weird rattle (that sounds like a
loose brake pad) and grinding (that sounds like the
roar of skateboard on a rough street) starts comeing
from either the front wheel bearings or axle somewhere
, I just did work on the cv axle and the cv flange on
the drivers side . The totally jacked thing though is
the sounds goes away some days and then comes back the
next .

Does anyone have a clue what to look for or how to
diagnose this location of the sound while the car is
moving ?

I did drive down the street with my door open trying
to pinpoint it , but no luck . I got under the car ,
looked around and felt around and found nothing and
saw nothing .

Thanks for any help , Aaron in San Jose , 87 16 valve -