How can I get this door open?

On rear doors that have the child safety latch engaged (ie. can't be
opened from the inside) I break the door handle off the outside - it's
pretty easy to do with the one screw removed - the door handle breaks
easily and cleanly.

It's more likely that the latch mechanism is frozen (or broken) than the
handle if you can't open the door from the inside.  It's possible that the
unlocking lever and/or the interior door-pull lever have broken, in which
case breaking the door handle off will should allow you to access the
latch mechanism enough to engage the lock release/door release.

If there's a chance the mechanism is frozen, try a hair dryer/heated
garage first.

If the latch mechanism is FUBAR, then you don't want to know what happens
next.

Drew