16V WOES ... HELP!!

Rust should show up as a redish/orangish color in the fuel if you have a
rust proplem.  However, I agree with peter, sounds like the transfer
pump is crapping out on ya.  For what it's worth when it comes to the
clap for the fules lines, those little adjustable screw clamps will work
just fine so long as you get them good and tight.  The factory crimp
clamps are a PITA but work well, they just arn't re-usable (at least as
far as I know they arn't).

Also check the condition of the hall sender (small wire connector on the
distrbutor)  If it seems loose or looks like it's in bad shape, this can
also cause similair problems.

William