scirocco mk1 cabriolet

> I am looking for specific info regarding the under car stiffening added to
> the bauer cabriolets, if anyone has info,photos,ideas even, please let me
know.
> Thanks Michael---vwgtikim@aol.com

OK, if I were taking on the project, I would first look at the Rabbit
Convertible vs. the Rabbit 2dr.  There are pictures in Bentley I think
showing the reinforcement panels they used (around the front strut towers)
in the trunk, under the rockers, etc.  As a first step, I would definitely
use 3 stress bars.  Then I would measure the under rocker reinforcements and
see if you could buy those panels aftermarket.  As well as the trunk
reinforcement, as it should be the same fit as the Rocco.

I don't know if the Bauer used a reinforced windshield frame, but I would
really do it, assuming how much Mk I windshields crack when mounted in an
enclosed car, well...

The other thing to consider would be a roll bar.  Smart to have.  When you
are considering reinforcement, where welding, use gusseting and know that
the strongest shape is a triangle.  To deform it, one of the sides needs to
fail.  In a square or any other shape, just the joints need to fail for the
form to collapse.  FYI.

There is probably a bunch of web sites about converting vehicles from sedans
to verts.

Good luck,

gd