(semi-ot) RE: subzero temps, block heaters, etc

>I'm definitely throwing together an emergency kit in a small duffle bag
>for the trunk, in case I get stuck in a blizzard. Items will include
>chains, tow strap, plastic snow shovel, metal 'traction mesh' treads (hey,
>they were free.. who knows they might be useful), duct tape, water
>bottle(s), nonperishable food, a space blanket, a can of sterno for heat,
>kleenex, butane lighter, a flare, flashlight and some trash bags. I have
>vice grips, a screwdriver, 3/8" socket set and ratchet, extra fuses,
>spare tire and jack already. I also keep 'chaining up gloves' and a spare
>wool hat under my seat in case I forget to bring either along. I always
>take my cell phone when I drive in snow. The idea is to not get stuck in a
>ditch and secondly, to not die if I do get stuck in a ditch during a
>white out and can't run the engine to stay warm.

I'd add a CAA (AAA) card and a cell phone to the list. Sometimes you just
have to call the tow truck.

>What's a toque.. a type of hat?

This must be aimed at us Canadians, the laugh of the day. Rent a McKenzie
brother's movie eh?  ;)(yeah it's a hat, part of the official Canadian
"hoser" uniform)

> > must as well - and if it's windy wear your 'jacket hat' as well - the
> > one that's zipped up in the collar of most jackets.  Most toques don't
> > block the wind well - especially fleece ones.  Gloves aren't as warm as
> > mitts.  If you really want warm hands buy a set of snowmobile mitts (the
> > huge ones that go half way up your arm)...  You might look like an
> > idiot, but at least you'll be a warm idiot!  :)

Some of this heavy duty winter wear can be pricey, if you're not against the
idea, some of it may be available at the local used clothing place. Save a
few bucks...you don't need fancy, just warm. (and snowmobiling stuff is
usually really warm)

> > That shouldn't be necessary.  But, if you want some insurance buy a deep
> > cycle marine battery (usually has a handle) and keep it in your apt.
> > Use it with some booster cables if you ever need a boost.  Quick and
> > simple.

Not sure how much extra cranking power you need, but what about one of those
rechargeable deals with the built in cables, "Quick start" I think they call
them here, they are easier to carry than the battery/cable assembly. Not
sure how many cranking amps they come with though. I'd be checking the one
in your car too, make sure it has enough ooomph. Maybe a diesel VW battery,
the fit would be right. I sent Adam off with my new Interstate to North Bay,
we'll see how it does in really cold weather, calling for -24C or something
tonight up there.

>16v should be about the same as 8v.. have you put one in an 8v? How long
>did it take you? Is there a tool for pulling vw freeze plugs? How does the
>new heater 'plug' fit in since there's not much room for hammering with
>the engine installed in the car?
>
>Also I'm a bit confused over this whole block heater thing. Apparently
>some folks leave them running 24/7? There's no way I can do that since I
>don't even have an outlet outside (it would have to be run via an
>extension cord snaked out my apt window or door). I was thinking a block
>heater might help things warm up a little in order to enable the engine
>to start at low low temps. So.. I'd maybe let it warm the block for maybe
>20 minutes on really cold days before starting. Am I misunderstanding the
>usage/purpose of these things?

Usually it warms the coolant, but there is another type that warms the oil
pan. Both need to be plugged in for a while, and do you really want to get
up at 4am to plug it in to leave in the morning? (I guess you could use as
timer) I'd talk to people in the area, see if they generally bother, or look
for tell tale cords hanging out through grilles. If they're common, I'd get
one. If not and the car generally starts easily, you may get by without, but
it's kinder to the engine I think to have things partially warm in there.
Most people here don't bother, but we're not bitterly cold too often
(Southern Ontario). I have to get mine put back on the TDI, it fell off (
pan type) I like them for the diesels, gas cars are a bit easier to get
enthused about starting.

> > Good luck!
>
>Hey, thanks for the good advice! I know a lot of folks have 'been there'
>when it comes to this frigid weather (which is a relatively new thing for
>me); it makes sense to learn from their experiences.

Hey, that's what the list is for! Now, thew big question, will MY car start
this morning?
Cathy