Thank goodness for jack stands...

You'd have thought he learned about securing things after the bunny :-)...
and an engine,,, and gravity..
brian
happy to still be here :-)
Just teasing ron..

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, Julie Macfarlane wrote:

> Happy to hear it!
> Here is the voice of experience folks.
> We all remember to watch out when you pull on a wrench, thanks to Ron.
> Thank god there were no pics for this one, the last pic was a doozie  :)
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Julie Macfarlane
> 1981 MKI 2L 16v
> Amsterdam NY
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> >From: Ron Pieper <rapieper@yahoo.com>
> >To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
> >Subject: Thank goodness for jack stands...
> >Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 13:36:39 -0800 (PST)
> >
> >...and the sense to use them!
> >
> >I had my MkI jacked up high from the driver's side using the VW recommnd=
ed=20
> >jack point (the little
> >round dealie, with a piece of synthetic 5/4" deck material as cushion) a=
nd=20
> >slid my jackstand and a
> >cushioning 2x4 underneath the seam, as usual.  I worked underneath for=
=20
> >quite awhile, on shifter,
> >PS, and exhaust manifold.  Went topside to bite down the upper exh.=20
> >manifold nuts and the car
> >slammed down slightly..."Hmmmm...I gotta check this out" I thinks.
> >
> >Turns out that the jack (and the piece of 5/4") had slid out from under =
the=20
> >car, no doubt due to
> >the steep angle because it was lifted so high, and the car dropped the 1=
/4"=20
> >or so onto the stand.
> >
> >Anyhow, moral of the story, USE JACK STANDS!  And have them bear the=20
> >weight, NOT the jack!  It
> >just may save your life.  Had I failed to use the jack stand, I'd very=
=20
> >possibly not be writing
> >this right now...I'd be daid.

>=20
>=20

--=20
Brian=20
88 16v $2004 GRM challenge car http://www.grmotorsports.com
84 0v Next years car? mid engine... maybe we'll see
82 0v Black 16v kit --parts
82 2.0L Topless bunny -- Knock Ignition and bigger clutch. next.
90 90q20v doing daily driver duty.=20
91 VFR750F everybody needs a 11-12 sec vehicle.

Contact method. Email me for AIM, ICQ, YahooIM, IRC, etc.