Thank goodness for jack stands...

...and the sense to use them!

I had my MkI jacked up high from the driver's side using the VW recommnded jack point (the little
round dealie, with a piece of synthetic 5/4" deck material as cushion) and slid my jackstand and a
cushioning 2x4 underneath the seam, as usual.  I worked underneath for quite awhile, on shifter,
PS, and exhaust manifold.  Went topside to bite down the upper exh. manifold nuts and the car
slammed down slightly..."Hmmmm...I gotta check this out" I thinks.

Turns out that the jack (and the piece of 5/4") had slid out from under the car, no doubt due to
the steep angle because it was lifted so high, and the car dropped the 1/4" or so onto the stand.

Anyhow, moral of the story, USE JACK STANDS!  And have them bear the weight, NOT the jack!  It
just may save your life.  Had I failed to use the jack stand, I'd very possibly not be writing
this right now...I'd be daid.