Stripped bolt - how screwed am I?

Yeah, if you need that bolt out of the way, you can remove the ac/alt/ps bracket, and then work with it (heck, I'd just get another bracket from the junkyard).  I never ran into any situations where that bolt was in the way though, so hopefully neither will you.
Hmm, valve grinding compound sounds like an interesting and possibly good idea...