  From: Krazy Horse
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Sunday, February 29, 2004 3:20 PM
  Subject: RE: Need help!

  That looks like its the hose to the vacuum advance on the distributor. If
  that comes off, then yes, your car will run like crap. As the engine RPMs
  increase, then the timing will need to advance as well, with that hose off,
  the timing will not advance at all. At idle, the timing might be 6* BTDC,
  when flying down the freeway, the timing might be like 35* BTDC. If the
  timing doesn't advance and stays at 6* when the engine needs it at 35*,
  that's a problem. Did the issue go away when you put that hose back on and
  took it for a spin?

  Every VW that I have owned (and worked on) had a Hall sending unit instead
  of a vacuum advance.

  Please correct me if I am wrong, but thats what it looks like to me...

  -Craig
  "Nightmare" '88 16v (PG-T Proj.)
  "Calypso" '91 Golf GL (Daily Driver)