Speedometer repair

The needle may have been messed with. IIRC there is a small mark just under
the zero mark.
Pull the needle (Carefully) re-align the needle gently and lift the needle
as you pass it over the 0 stop pin and press it home. The needle should rest
on the stop pin very gently.

Good luck

Julie Macfarlane
1981 MKI 2L 16v