Tires (was Rims)

My own experience has been limited to 13" tires on a German spec 1979 MKI
and a US spec 1986 MKII.
However, speed rating is most important to me:at least HR equivalent (or
current equivalent labeling) allowing a sustained 125mph and excursions
to140 mph. That will certainly cover my humble little 86 8V or most other
Sciroccos.
Since 1988, I have been runnning Sears Roebuck Roadhandler (175/70 or
185/70 Michelin make) on factory steel 13"X5.5"  wheels. Don't remember and
it is raining right now so I don't want to crawl outside. They are
currently dressed with very nice after market plastic wheel covers I bought
10 years ago. Since then, I've lost two of the wheel covers, so I keep the
remaining two plastic covers on the left side and expose the rusty wheels
on the right side. That way, other drivers are impressed with appearance
and the curb-crawling Trashies who tried to steal my Blaupunkt in 1988 will
be turned off.

The early Sears Michelins are great tires in rain or snow. I've had at
least 45,000 miles on each over  250,00 miles. Actually had one of them
exceed 80,000 miles before I threw it away.
The money I could spend on wheels and tires would also buy me a very nice
powerplant.