speedometer repair

I've had a replacement speedometer rolling around in the trunk of my 81s
since I got it. My brother, whose car it was, got it to replace the
speedo. I vaguely recall glancing at it from time to time telling myself
that I needed to get that repair done and now I am thinking to do it. The
speedometer that is currently in the dash seems to only be missing the
pointer, though it is hard to tell if it is turning properly when I'm
driving. The speedo that I pulled out of the trunk a couple weeks ago
after months of rolling around, seems to be "pegged" at 85.

Is it possible that I only need to replace the pointer?
Did a spring disconnect somewhere to make the one speedo peg out at 85? (I
can turn it to zero with my finger, but it bounces back to 85)
If both speedos are trash, does anyone have a spare or a line on a
replacement?

TIA,
-m.

   m a t t h e w   r u s s e l l