uh oh: tranny? WAS:worrisome new noise=wheel bearings?

well, the fact that the crunching was on both sides i think pretty much
confirms it isn't something like a wheel bearing, or anything else that
you'd expect to be confined to one side. if this is sms, what can i salvage?
the fifth gear is a .75, and there's a velocity lsd in there too, which i'd
like to maybe xfer to a 4k.

-Michael Abatzis
New Orleans!
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP