uh oh: tranny? WAS:worrisome new noise=wheel bearings?

jacked up the car and poked around some.  wheel had no play, turned easily,
and cv boot was intact.  however, it sounded and felt like the wheel was
turning in a jar of marbles (felt kind of jerky when turning the wheel in
neutral). the other felt the same.  i can't remember now, but i'm pretty
damn sure that the wheels should turn smoothly in neutral (i was turning
with 1 off the ground, 1 on the ground) without any crunching sounds. any
ideas? turning the car on in neutral had no problems, and the noise is only
present in gear, while turning left. this doesn't make a ton of sense to me,
but i'm thinking a problem with the differential fits here. anybody? this
sucks cause i have no spare tranny, this is my dd, and i have a .75 5th and
a velocity lsd in the tranny. btw, have i mentioned on this list before how
much i miss my old car? i can't really road test it much today because mardi
gras is in full swing outside my house. wild stuff.

-Michael Abatzis
New Orleans!
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...

Watch high-quality video with fast playback at MSN Video. Free!