16v suddenly cranks slow, won't start

> 1. letting the car idle in a parking lot does not charge a battery (next
> time try driving it 20 mins on the hwy at 70mph)

True, but it does add some charge. There have been times before where my
battery was a little stale from sitting for a month or sth like that and
running the car for a few minutes helped it start back up without a jump.

Besides.. the battery was not discharged. Below 12 volts is discharged.
True, it should be closer to 12.7 or even 13-something volts. But 12.2
should at least turn the car over at a reasonable speed. And the battery
voltage was not dropping more than 0.1 V after turning the car over again
and again. If it was slipping down to 11.5 volts or something like that -
then that would indicate that it needed to be more seriously recharged.

> 2. sounds like your having a possible starter issue here.

Perhaps, but it smells more electrical. The starter is just turning over
very very slowly; there's no grinding noise or smoke pouring out of the
starter.

Also I think 'sudden death' of starters is rather rare. IME, Dub starters
tend to last a lot longer than aftermarket GM garbage, this one is a Bosch
factory rebuild (I think it even has a warranty).

The death of my previous starter was very gradual, until it caught the
wiring on fire when it jammed in the 'on' position in rush hour traffic.

> 3. when the car actually run, how much voltage your getting at the
> alternator ?

14.5 V

I'd be suspecting the charging system as much as the starting one (I
redid the wiring for both at the same time.. a few yrs ago), but like I
said at least the battery appears to be (not fully, but mostly) charged.

-Toby