16v suddenly cranks slow, won't start

In a message dated 2/24/2004 2:29:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, treed2@wsu.edu
writes:
<<<stock battery/starter wiring has been replaced ~2-3 years ago with
  8 ga copper with crimped ends. (i intend to solder new ones soon; but
  its a pain to solder something so big)>>>

Hmmmm this would have been my guess, however check one more wire.  Check the
wire that goes from the back of the intake manifold to the coil mount.  If
that is still that flat piece of crap wire from the factory, replace it with a
nice thick cable.  This is the one that made all the difference when I had
problem similer to you.

Brian 86 16v
98 Jetta GLX Vr6