16v suddenly cranks slow, won't start

I used to have weak starts, and then finally it just wouldn't start. Okay,
let's be realistic, it's happened a lot, not just once, this is my car I'm
talking about. But one other thing you could try is jumpering to the tranny,
at one point mine was completely lacking that ground strap, at another it
was loose. Both times gave a weak start. Or no start.
Cathy