16v barely running, anyone got some advise?MORE ON THISSUBJECT...

Eric , its running and then dying out but only after
its warmed up , so what I was thinking was the O2
warms up and then kicks in and dumps too much fuel in
making it pour smoke out the exahust and sounds like
its running on 1 cylinder and then dies , the plugs
were black the first time it did this and I had
checked the plugs about a month before that and they
were perfect , this time it died and then I waited for
things to cool (over 2 hours) and then it started ,
blew out some extra smokey exhaust and then I drove
home , thats why I'm thinking O2 sensor , I guess it
could even be my Cat too causing problems (??) -Aaron

--- Eric S <scirocco@vintagewatercooleds.com> wrote:

> This is going to be difficult to diagnose.  If you
> feel its a spark
> problem, then get the car to do it again (keeping
> close to home) and then
> pull the plugs and check for spark.
>
> I have a nagging feeling its a fuel issue though.  I
> had damn near exact
> symptoms with an 8v...granted, toally different fuel
> system (well, CIS,
> but the electronics are different).  Mine, turned
> out to be a case of
> water in my ECU causing wierd shorts (man those
> automated pressure car
> washes can get water in interesting places).
> Basically, my CPR
> (functional equvalent to your DPR) was just, turning
> off and the car would
> loose power, only run on full throttle and
> eventually just shut down.
>
> In my case, I figured it out when I had it idling
> fine and I heard the CPR
> stop buzzing all a sudden and the car died.  You're
> gonna have to get a
> bit more scientific, and that means getting the car
> to do it, while you
> have your Bentley and tools, and start checking
> things out.  If the car is
> still firing the plugs, then I'd check your DPR
> current next...it almost
> sounds you're going into a too rich or too lean
> situation.  Alas, I have
> little working knowledge of the CIS-E quirks, and I
> only know to tell you
> to check DPR current cause I see it talked of so
> often in relation to fuel
> mixture on 16v engines.
>
> Bentely is your friend here...get the car to break,
> and start running the
> tests man.
>
> BTW, have you replaced your transfer pump lately?
> (just a wild guess)
>
> --
> Eric
> www.vintagewatercooleds.com
>
> 79 VW Iltis
> 81 Rabbit Truck 2.0 16v
> 81 Scirocco S (TDI Swap project)
> 90 Corrado TDI
> 91 Cabriolet (2.0 Crossflow swap project)
>
> A J said:
> > So I my 16v broke down awhile back (so I thought)
> on
> > me and I changed the cap rotor and plugs and it
> > wouldnt start , got it towed back to the house and
> > then the next morning it starts (?) So I've been
> > thinking everything is cool and then I take about
> a 25
> > minute drive outa town andthe car strats loseing
> power
> > and then dies , so I'm sitting there with no tools
> and
> > no book , what can I do ? I check my cap and rotor
> > again , it looks ok , I check my coil and clean
> the
> > connections with a rag , maybe something is over
> > heating and then not working ? I waited about 2
> hours
> > and finaly it starts !!?? Thats when I realize I
> [...]
=== message truncated ===