WAY OT: OT On Marriage (From another list)

>From: "Julie Macfarlane" <juliemac57@hotmail.com>
>To: roccit_53@hotmail.com, mr.utility@highstream.net, jlagnese@massed.net
>CC: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: WAY OT: OT On Marriage (From another list)
>Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:50:26 +0000
>
>Ok. Here is my input on the subject. there are variations on the two
>schemas.
>XX,XY,XXY,XXX.
>
>Hows that?
>The XXY is a VERY masculine and violent form of human and is fairly rare
>1:100000000.
>The XXX is a very fair, small feminine female, again in the same ratio.

Now my reference suggests as high as 1 in 1000 for the extra X females, (and
there can be up to five copies in some cases), and that the individual is
slender, but taller than normal. But female for sure, including
fertility.("metafemales")
The XXY version (Klinefelter's) is expressed as basicly a male with
feminized features, less hair, higher voice, and all that stuff that can be
corrected by adding the testosterone they are missing. Often low sperm count
is what diagnoses the problem, there are fertility issues with this one. One
in 1000 or as many as 500 live births, according to my reference, and
sometimes in combination with Down's, which makes sense if there is a
non-disjunction problem it could concievably hit more than one chromosome.
I think it's likely the XYY (supermale) you are thinking of with the link to
voilence, because a initial study was done on a small sample of men in a
European jail, so the incidence of the extra Y was linked to all that
atypical jail behavior. But from what I gather it is also common and largely
undetected in the general population, with no link to violence. They do make
more testosterone, which can lead to the sorts of "mannish" behaviors,
aggression being in this heap. Again, my reference suggests a much higher
incidence, one of every 1000-2000 male births.
But does it matter? You can't change what you're born with, or what your
kids get for that matter. I'm just always fascinated by variations within
our species, and I sure don't need to see our Bentley, it'd be really fat!
We sure do come with a lot of options.
Cathy