autobahn going the way of the dinosaur? attn: Dirk

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:02:46 -0700, John Klun <jklun@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>I also suspect that a vehicle traveling in the 'fast' lane of the
>autobahn doing a 120 mph+ coming up on a vehicle doing 70 mph+ will be
>pushing a wall of air.  When that wall of air 'hits' the vehicle in
>front, it could actually 'push' that vehicle.  That vehicle getting hit
>by that 'wall' of air can lose traction and become unpredictable to
>handle.

About two years ago, driving a Seat TDI rental car, I was cruising an
uncrowded section of autobahn in Westphalia at a comfortable 165kph.
I was overtaken by two cars (a large Opel and a 7 series BMW) fast
enough to "boom" when I was hit by that wall of air.  I wondered how
much faster you have to be going to "boom" somebody like that.

I have lots of autobahn time, starting in 1971-72 while stationed in
Germany.  I bought a new super beetle and put 36k miles on it before
shipping it home.  I think it would do 85 if it wasn't too windy -
good for only short passing maneuvers into the fast lane.  Been back
multi times and the autobahn is still a great kick.  I like early
Sunday morning drives when the trucks are off the roads.

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9