Increase the rigidity/quiet of your A1...

David Utley wrote:

> Let me clarify a bit: I doubt the foam ITSELF would absorb water, I
> think the space between the foam and steel might wick and or serve as a
> condensation point for water, and perhaps retain it, leading to corrosion.
> TBerk
>

> I think I understand your point, but how would that be different than if the
> foam were not there?  If there is condensation building up in these cavities
> on its' own, then I would have to say that you have other problems, ie rust
> and/or leaks...

If you have air flow the moist atmosphere can 'breath' so to speak. If
there is a very small gap (see below) then the accumulated moisture can
not evaporate as readily.

> 'Wicking' as I understand it, is when something draws fluid into it, as if
> it were a wick, as in a  capillary action...  The foam will not absorb
> water, as it is a closed-cell type foam.

I understand the FOAM wouldn't be a sponge, I was thinking of a gap
between the foam and steel. This is prob. my whole misunderstanding; I
initially failed to imagine the poured foam actually sticking to the
surfaces of the cavities. I saw it as a part, apart so to speak.

> As mentioned before, this has been
> used in marine applications...  Now, although this is in a steel cavity, and
> any metal that changes temperatures can develop condensation, I cannot
> imagine that the foam would make it worse.  The idea of this foam is that it
> is air-tight, and water-tight.  IF this is properly applied (with no, or at
> least few pockets of air), then there is no chance it can gather moisture,
> unless you accidentally seal the sunroof drains...  Does that make sense?
>
> Regards,
>   David

Makes more sense the more I think about it.

Thx,
TBerk